February 25, 2013

A HAIKU ON CHILDHOOD


When I was a kid
I wanted to serenade
to sing with my lungs

It's a true story. I was convinced I could be a singer. Heck, even now I sometimes pray I'll wake up with a voice like liquid gold. But each day I wake up with the same stiff lump in my throat. To most I probably sound like nails on a chalkboard. Some things you're gifted with, some you aren't. I'm still a little bummed I wasn't blessed with a voice meant for singing. As a child though, I didn't think my voice actually mattered. I'd tell anyone and everyone that if I couldn't make it as a singer, well, I'd just be a lip-sync-er. Me and my friends would put on Shakira, Shakira  and Brittney Spears and dance/sing our little hearts out. 

Once I knew I wouldn't make it through on an episode of Idol to Hollywood, my gears shifted. I started playing guitar when I was put in guitar class in high school. My 9th grade year I was convinced I'd be the next Kurt Cobain. (I was in very transitional stage freshman year!) Are we seeing a theme here? I took guitar throughout my entire high school career and then quit playing. I honestly don't remember much. I played and passed a proficiency and then never retained any of it. I picked up my guitar for the first time in months, last week, and was surprised to find that I couldn't remember Blackbird. The one and only song I learned in it's entirety. I plucked and strummed and eventually figured it out, but it upset me that something I really enjoined  I never took the time to develop. So here's my very public deceleration: I will not let me novice nor my laziness get in the way of me playing the guitar again! Nirvana cover band coming to you live, 2014. ;)  

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! I actually would love to pick up my guitar again. I, like you, took lessons in high school and then just left it by the wayside.
    Wah... If only I could find the time :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I wrote this! I actually made it one of my goals this year to pick up guitar again and learn 5 songs. Might be a little hard to accomplish, but I'm going to try!! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. It means the world to me!