November 22, 2011

A week of Gratitude//Pumpkin Whoopie Pies Recipe


This recipe is a favorite around our house! We've made them for both of the DS shows to sell, and they sell like hot cakes (my attempt to be funny, bare with me)! If you're really into pumpkin pie but don't have the time or want to try something new, these are for you. They are like tiny little individual slices of pumpkin pie heaven. I don't normally like pumpkin (aside from the latte) and even I like these!

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: makes 12-15 finished cakes. 

Ingredients: 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon*, 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground allspice, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 1/2 cups pumpkin, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla*. 

For the icing: 8 ounce package of softened cream cheese, 1 teaspoon vanilla, plenty of powdered sugar, and cinnamon*

Mix together all of your dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Cream together both the butter and brown sugar. Add the pumpkin, then the egg an vanilla. Add in the flour mixture a little at a time until you've finished. The batter will be very thick and hard to mix if you add all the flour at once. Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, drop 2 tablespoons of batter onto a baking sheet, repeating until it's full. Bake at 350 F for 11-15 minutes. Allow them to cool a bit before moving them. Once cool, add a big spoonful of your cream cheese icing to one whoopie pie and sandwich with another. Enjoy! xo. 
recipe adapted from this book

*I use a lot more cinnamon than this recipe calls for. I used probably 4 tablespoons. Totally your preference! * I also use a lot more vanilla, probably around 3 or 4 tablespoons. 
*Oh and I add a little buttermilk to my batter. About 1/4 cup. 
*You don't have to add cinnamon to your icing, but if it wasn't obvious....I like cinnamon!

Hint!: If you are a perfectionist, or want all of your whoopies to be uniformed and look the same, I suggest getting this pan. I got mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I don't use it much, because the pies turn out super big and it almost cuts the recipe in half. Plus, hand spooned ones have charm, don't you think? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. It means the world to me!